Monday, March 1, 2010

Tommy

Every day, once in the morning and once in the early afternoon, Tommy stops by the office. His short visits light up the room and bring so much joy to the interns' day. Tommy is the mail delievery guy in my building. Seriously, he's so cool.

There is something different about Tommy, but I can't quite put my finger on it. He talks a little fast and says a lot of short sentences back to back. It sounds something like this:

"Hey there, hey there.How ya doing?Hi Sara.Hi Stevie.How are you girls today?Yeah, Yeah.Did you all have a good weekend?Is it Friday yet?Ha, ha!"

He speaks at a normal tone, but I wonder if he used to have a little bit of a stuttering problem. Either way, he has the most sweet-tempered spirit about him. You just can't help but smile when he's talking to you!

I don't know much about Tommy, but if I had to guess, I think he knows the Lord. There is a joy in his face when he talks to the other interns and I that most people I've met in New York do not have. In fact, when I compare Tommy's attitude on a regular basis to mine, the amount of joy he has definitely surpasses me. Before I leave New York, I plan on asking Tommy why he's so happy all the time. Not in a condemning way, but in a curious way. I want to know what God is doing in his life. Tommy is definitely one of God's daily reminders for me of the joy we all could and should possess. Why not treat each other with that outgoing kindess? If Tommy brightens up my day with his good attitude, why don't I try to possess this same kind of joy and share it with others I come in contact with?

Today's challenge: Choose joy. Remember that the joy of the Lord is your strength. And everytime you come in contact with someone today, share the joy of the Lord with that person through kind words, a sweet temperment, and a big smile.

Just like Tommy:)

0 comments:

Post a Comment