Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I guess the Lord must be in New York City

A couple of days ago, by cousin Bryan asked me via Twitter if I had "found Jesus" in New York yet. This question got me thinking. Yes, in fact, I have found Jesus in New York; in more ways than one.

Two Sundays ago, a few of the girls in my program went with me to a church called The Journey Church . We went to the Sunday evening service in The Village at 6:30 p.m. This was a contemporary service and it felt a lot like a Christian summer camp worship service. This made me feel very comfortable, obviously, because I work at such a camp. However, it was also like I was taking a fresh breath of air as I sat in on that service. The songs that were played and sung were contemporary Christian songs that I new by heart. This allowed me to just close my eyes, truly worship our great God, and relax after a long week. It was such a blessing to see God in New York the same way I see Him in a place like Zephyr. I was once again overwhelmed by His reminder that He never changes, but always stays the same. It brings tears to my eyes even now.

I have also found Jesus in some of the new friends I have made since being in New York. The other night, Jenna, Lindsey, and I had dinner at a little Polish restaurant on Montague (my favorite street in Brooklyn!). Before we ate, Lindsay prayed for our meal. I was so touchedby her sincere prayer, thanking the Lord for the new adventures He was giving us and the way He is challenging us so that we can grow in and seek after Him more. She also thanked Him for new friends and good food:) God has truly blessed me with amazing new friends and running buddies for my time in New York.

Jesus has been found at CBS News. Yes, it is true:) Last Thursday, a man called the office looking for a woman that did not work in my building. He was frantically looking for his sister because an emergency had occured and he was at the hospital. This is the only information he gave me, but in respect to these people, I'll leave it that. I tried desperately to find his sister for him. I called her office and left a message, called down to the front desk, and even called the main info line. I was not able to contact his sister. The worst part was the the other people in the office made it sound like this wasn't our problem because he had called the wrong department. My heart broke for this man and the fact that no one else seemed to care about this major issue. I went to my boss's office for a different reason, but told her quickly about the mysterious phone call. She immediately called her personal contacts and got in touch with this woman, only to find out that the woman HAD received my voicemail and had contacted her brother. She was so appreciateive that I had tried so hard to contact her and thanked my boss. My eyes filled with tears and my boss asked me what was wrong. I explanied that this man's desperation and fear had really broken my heart and I was so angry/overwhelmed by the fact that no one else around me seemed to care. She told me that I had done the right thing by telling her and that she was proud of me. The words that really caught my attention, however, were, "Sara, now all we can do is pray for this man, his sister, and their family." I knew my boss was a Christian, but it was incredible to see a woman in this industry have so much heart and speak of something as strong as prayer. That was a cool moment.

My last and most recent sighting of Jesus was this past weekend on the subway. A woman got onto the same line that my friends and I did. Right as the door was closing, she started to announce to the whole car that she works for a non-profit organization in New York that raises money to feed the hungry and homeless. She passed out ham and cheese sandwiches and chips to anyone hungry or homeless on the car. Then, she asked for donations. I wanted to give her something so badly, but I didn't have any change on me. I asked her how long she had been doing this kind of work and she said 7 years. Now that is commitment. Stuart, the executive director at Camp Zephyr, has always told me, "Love on people and set a good example because you might be the only Jesus a person will ever see." This woman was living her life according to Stuart's challenge. She was fully serving as the hands, feet, and heart of Christ. Her actions broke my heart and challenged me to be more like Him.

In the move, "You've Got Mail," the song I Guess The Lord Must Be In New York City plays as Kathleen Kelly (Meg Ryan) has a change of heart and begins to see Joe Fox (Tom Hanks) in a new light. The song itself isn't really relevant to my "sightings" of Jesus, but I do believe He is here, just like He is everywhere. Jesus is in my heart and, as elementary as that just sounded, I'm so glad that He is. He really is with me wherever I go.

Thank you Lord for both the big and small ways you remind me that you always be with me always.
__________________________________________________

“I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
Hebrews 13:5b

"Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land. For I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.” Genesis 28:15

For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.
Malachi 3:6

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and forever.
Hebrews 13:8

0 comments:

Post a Comment